The Power of Walking!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ted93704, Feb 11, 2016.

1. ted93704

ted93704 Keep Your Heads Up!

Walking is the best form of exercise! If you cant walk, you cant do anything really. Walking is the most fundamental act of humanity and should be practiced on a regular basis. Walking can help you lose weight. It can help ease depression. It can foster creativity! It can help prevent impotence or help cure it. Walking can strenghten bones. It can reduce risk of diabetes. Walking can improve flexibilty. Walking can improve your sleeping patterns. Walking can reduce heart attack and stroke risk. Walking can reduce your risk for cancer of all forms. Get outside and do some walking!

Julianna Blevins likes this.
  2. breath

breath Member

Walking's the best single thing I've done in the last few years as far as improving focus, energy level, erection quality, and happiness.

But, It needs to be brisk for me- 20 minutes at least non stop brisk with some hills. I don't need to break into a run - not even close but if it doesn't elevate my breathing and get be to break a sweat the effect goes down a lot - i'd estimate the effect goes down 90 % for me personally. I am past 50..

3. ted93704

yeah, i notice that too..gotta really move for it to be effective..a good arm swing back and forth
    put some pep in yo stride..haha..how logn do you walk for daily? is 20 minutes your quota for the day?

4. breath

breath Member

20 minutes straight without stopping. if i stop to do something i lose that elevation. 20 minimum.. the first 10 are warm up kind of , then a mild sweat and levated breathing and circulation.. makes me more alert for the whole day!

5. Julianna Blevins

Julianna Blevins New Member

Best post uptill now. Thanks for sharing!

6. ted93704

Hey guys..thanks for the kind words...a recent study found that walking 2 miles per day can dramatically reduce risk for impotence..look it up guys and get started on a walking program if you haven't already!

7. sonofJack

sonofJack I deserve self-respect

FWIW, I'm a long time runner, cyclist, and swimmer (more accurately, a non-drowner). In the past, I've joined the chorus with those of similar ilk, as we pooh pooh those who take things a bit more slowly. It always seemed a waste of time to do something for 1/2 hour, without ending up dripping wet, filthy, and/or exhausted.

This past summer, my body strongly urged me to try a new approach. I was walking six days a week until a few weeks ago, and I've only backed off because my stupid swims are at optimum walking time.

For anyone who thinks the go-slow approach to be inadequate: too bad for you. The time spend walking has reintroduced me to neighbourhood streets, sights, and neighbours. I've been able to stargaze at a time when I was usually inside, and I found I can even think about things, take pictures with my phone, or just plain walk.

I still do all the other stuff, but one days when I can only get one bit of activity in, I walk. Think I'll go for one now!

8. Rachellecooper

Rachellecooper New Member

Exercises can make your mind and body relaxed and refreshed. Walking is one of the best exercises. Every day walk for about half an hour. Walking can also control your cholesterol and sugar levels.In order to make exercises enjoyable listen to some music. This will make you to do it with great interest.

9. Nomadic

Nomadic Member

I can relate to sonofJack.
    I was walking an hour a day for about 2 yrs to lose weight (listening to audiobooks a lot). I lost about 20lbs just from walking and eating way better. I couldn't lose anymore though. I took up running soon after and have been at it for 8yrs. I lost an additional 40lbs eventually from running. I like running way more than walking I will admit. It takes less time, makes me sweat, and gives you more return on your investment. But it requires patience and consistency to get good and efficient.

Also unless you're very lucky, running will always cause injuries here and there. I'm currently injured with a knotted up glute muscle which has forced me to stop running. Slow walking is the only thing that doesn't irritate it right now. So that's what I'm doing for the next two weeks. I still enjoy it and recommend it. But I think it's a good goal for everyone to run 3 miles a day. I've been running more than double that for 8yrs, so it seems like 3 should be attainable to almost anyone eventually.