The 365 day "no internet after 8:30 pm challenge" thread. Anyone want's to join?

Discussion in 'Internet Addiction' started by MarstonS, Aug 4, 2018.

?

Have you ever had the thought "I'm using internet too much for mindless surfing?"

1. Nope, I don't even have internet. Writing this from a friends house.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, I'm good. I just use internet for constructive things, that's all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I sometimes do mindless surfing. It's not really THAT bad.

25.0%
  4. Yes I'm very aware that I use too much internet. I would like to cut down

25.0%
  5. Indeed. I'm addicted as f**k

50.0%
  1. MarstonS

MarstonS Walking the longest walk...

I'm starting a 365 day "intermittent web fasting challenge" and will cut the internet from my house at 8:30 pm every night.

Reason is that I use way too much mindless surfing on the evenings and 99% of my relapses has always happened after 9pm.
    It's not only the relapsing. It is the whole internet/supernormal stimuli thing I want to reduce and having all that going on so close to bedtime is not healthy either....

...heck it has even gotten so far that I often listen to youtube clips while trying to get to sleep, not erotic clips but just youtube clips in general. (fear of missing out or just addicted to the constant seeking after the next good thing)

I want this gone from my life NOW! I have tried before and failed but I want to really go at it with all I got this time.
    What do you think would happen to the prefrontal cortex (control center) in our brain if we swap mindless surfing from 8.30 pm with a meditation session, reading from a book and being midful. It just HAVE to bee a good trade and...

...with time this also have to show up as way less frequent relapses.

Anyway, I'm starting TODAY!

Anyone interested in joining me?

If so the only rule is "NO internet after 8:30" . This means turning off the internet function on your phone as well as soon as 8:30 roles around, every night.

We would log on to this thread from time to time and just report how it's going to help keep us motivated. No need for freequent, daily updates if short on time.

2. MarstonS

Day 1

(Will post here once or twice a week)

Challenge startded. Feel free to join.

3. MarstonS

I just realized I should have posted this in the "internet addiction" section of the forum....could any of the moderators move it for me?"

4. lookingahead

lookingahead To restore my inmost being. Staff Member

Done

5. MarstonS

Thank you lookingahead!

6. MarstonS

Day 2, slept like a baby after the first evening of no internet. I'm sure this is the way to go for me.

Londoner likes this.
  7. Londoner

Londoner Active Member

Interesting idea! Do you watch TV/films to fill the time, or just go to sleep?

MarstonS likes this.
  8. MarstonS

Day 4

It's going great so far. I WILL stay on for a full year as I already feel better. I wan't to see where it takes me.

Londoner, I have only one rule. I can do NOTHING that menas having a connection to internet. Old fashion cable TV is ok however I'm not a big fan of TV sp mostly I'm being mindful and thinking about what I can do better tomorrow. Reading a bit, meditating, and so on...

Londoner likes this.
  9. MarstonS

Day 6

I like the midfulness evenings. This is something I have to keep doing.

haha, looks like I'm going to be the only one doing this challenge. That's ok, will keep at it even if no one else shows up :)

10. Londoner

Londoner Active Member

I think others used to do this (or similar) back when we could have separate counters in our signatures to keep track of different goals.

11. MarstonS

Londoner, That might bee....I'm not goint to update here daily, in order to not make this thread a massive one with just my thoughts. So I'll check in mabye once a week or so. Still going strong and seeing benefits already after 7 days.

12. ClimbXR

ClimbXR Active Member

I'm on board starting tomorrow. For me, I will try no internet after 6pm considering I'm on it the entire day for work.

13. MarstonS

ClimbXr, Awesome! I think you made the right decision. I'm on day 8 today, so there is about a week difference between us and I have to say I already feel better. My sleep has improved drastically.

Londoner likes this.