Anyone here build a successful social life without drinking?

Discussion in 'Social Advice' started by WanderingSoul, Oct 11, 2017.

1. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Member

In high school my friends and I really just drank or played sports. In university my friends and I just smoked pot chilled, and then on the weekends drank and went out. Im in law school and my social life sucks. I really don't want to drink, I'm trying to optimize my health. I just don't know what to do for fun/ how to build a group of friends now. I guess I can try joining an intramural and making friends that way. But other than that I don't know. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. JayKay

JayKay Member

Drinking and partying doesn't have to be an option.
    A good way to make friends is to pick up a hobby or two. I've noticed that dancing works great for many guys as a basic way to get started. Beginner dance classes like Salsa and Swing dancing are great because they push you out of your comfort zone ( you may look silly a few times while learning and you will eventually have to ask women to dance). These dances usually have socials and non- alcoholic parties to socialize while dancing. is also great for meeting young professionals. If you are in law school, you are bound to run into a young lawyer or two in a social group which may prove to be a useful contact in the future.

It will probably take sometime to get used to having fun as a sober non- high, non-tipsy adult. Personally I drank and smoked through college, but after spending a few months socializing normally after graduating- drinking got old. All you have to do is go to a bar a few times with your friends and NOT drink to see how silly people look when they are high/tipsy.

Goodluck- I don't think it should be too tough, though!
    Rising and WanderingSoul like this.